1 large bunch thin asparagus (1 pound)
4 thick salmon steaks or fillets (1 1/2 pounds)
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup bread crumbs
1. Turn the broiler to high; put the rack 4 inches from the heat. Melt 5 tablespoons butter in the microwave or in a small pot over medium-low heat. Trim the asparagus.
2. Put the salmon and asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with the butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If using skin-on fillets, place the skin side up.
3. Broil, turning the salmon and asparagus about halfway through the cooking, until the salmon is cooked as you like (no more than 10 minutes for medium to medium-well, and less if you like your salmon closer to medium-rare) and the asparagus is tender and browned.
4. Put 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add 1 cup bread crumbs, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir gently to coat with the oil. Cook, stirring frequently and adjusting the heat to avoid burning, until the crumbs are golden and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the lemon into wedges.
5. When the salmon and asparagus are done, divide among 4 plates. Then sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top, and serve with the lemon wedges.